Use Certified Mail When Returning Unsatisfactory Product

Local consumer protection officials advise a local parent to get proof of delivery when returning a product that doesn't meet your expectations.

Q.      My son ordered a skin care treatment for his acne from the television. It had a money back guarantee written on the box. It stated if you are unhappy with the product to return with 30 days. He was unhappy and returned the product within the allotted time. The company ended up charging his credit card. When he contacted the skin care company they said the product was never received. My son tried to dispute this charge with his credit card company.  The credit card company told him he would have to work this out with the skin care company. What can be done?

A.       The problem is there is no proof that the product was returned. What your son should have done was send the product back to the company by certified mail, return receipt requested. This way the company would have to have signed the receipt showing it was received. This would have protected your son. I understand the guarantee on the box never stated for it to be sent certified mail, but without it, it’s your son’s word against theirs; and of course they are going to stick by their story. The Bucks County Consumer Protection agency advises to write a letter to the skin care company disputing the charge. Keep a copy of the dispute letter for yourself. If they don’t respond, contact us and we will try to mediate for you. Consumers who need to return an item should always take the time to go to the post office and send the item back certified mail, return receipt requested. It will cost you a few dollars, but in the long run it can save you a lot of money and aggravation.   

Joe Orlando January 04, 2013 at 01:52 PM
You could also send it via UPS. It would cost more than the post office.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »