Simmons Fire Will Not Disrupt School

An after school fire at Simmons Elementary School in Horsham has left an odor throughout the building.

An overheated HVAC motor caused a fire to break out at Simmons Elementary School around 3:45 p.m. Wednesday, officials said. 

The fire was extinguished in less than an hour and no one was injured as a result, according to Horsham Fire Company Chief Tim Flanagan. Students had already departed for the day.

Flanagan told Patch that an overheated or "worn out" motor on the school's HVAC system is believed to have been the culprit. 

Flanagan said building damage would not require the school to be closed. 

"That would be their call," Flanagan said of the district's decision to open Thursday. "It has a little bit of a stink inside."

School officials said students will report to school as usual Thursday.

Aftercare students will remain outdoors until they are picked up by their parents this evening. Restrooms at the  are being used by aftercare staff and students. Wednesday’s evening activities at Simmons have been cancelled. The fifth-grade promotion at the will be held as previously planned. 

Superintendent Curtis Griffin said maintenance crews would examine the extent of the damage later this evening. School officials had originally thought the cause of the fire stemmed from a fire in the school's pool pump. If that was the case, Griffin said the pool may need to close until repairs can be made. 


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »