Ok, we know the Eagles are home, like us, watching the Super Bowl this weekend. On the positive side, we can stick to our New Year’s resolutions to eat healthy EVEN during the Super Bowl. Remember, you can stay focused on your fitness goals without sacrificing fun! Here are some game day tips that will keep you on track with your weight loss:
1) Lots of people skip meals in order to “save” all the calories for the game. That strategy is a recipe for DISASTER! Have a sensible meal with lean protein and
green, fiber-rich veggies, like broccoli, green beans, and spinach prior to the
game. Add green veggies to your favorite chili recipe. This will help you make GOOD choices at the party with your mind, not your belly.
2) Dips are a great choice if and ONLY IF they are prepared with plain Greek yogurt (0 percent fat) instead of sour cream. The texture is not compromised and the flavor of the dip is EXACTLY the same. Instead of the large amounts of fat in sour cream, Greek yogurt provides high protein and no fat. A great appetizer is taco dip with Greek yogurt, of course. Just arrange a vegetable tray with celery, carrots, and cucumbers alongside the taco dip. Another option is to use the Greek yogurt to make spinach dip. Now you have two weight loss friendly snacks to share!
3) Homemade nacho chips paired with a fruit salsa can really satisfy that salt and sweet craving. Take a pack of low-carb tortillas, cut to size of a nacho, spray with cooking spray, add salt and/or cinnamon, and bake until crisp.
4) Shrimp cocktail is a favorite high protein appetizer that is great to serve on game day. It’s a quick and easy treat to “kick off” the festivities on game day.
5) Sugary drinks are a dieter’s nightmare. Stay away from the mojitos and margaritas. Opt for sugar-free drinks like a flavored seltzer with a lime. If you find it a must to imbibe, select a red wine or light beer. Limit your drinks to
two alternating with water. Your quality of food selections deteriorates once you toss a couple back. That’s when you are likely to go for the cheese-laden nachos. And, well, there goes your whole week and more!
Armed with these 5 Super Bowl weight-loss tips, you’ll be the one scoring a touchdown with the scale on Monday morning.