Do you feel confused about which foods are healthy? Fat-free? Low fat? Sugar-free?
How do you determine which foods are best for you? In my Interval Class last week, we discussed the best approach to losing belly fat. Let’s just get back to the basics with a few clean eating suggestions that can be easily worked into your daily diet—
1) Eat only whole foods. That means eating oatmeal and apples
instead of a bran muffin. Most of your food should come from a plant or animal source. Ask yourself when looking at your plate, “Did this come from a mother or
the ground?” If you see pasta—yes, even whole wheat pasta staring back at you, opt for trying complex carbohydrates like brown rice, sweet potatoes, or oat bran.
2) Eat on a regular schedule. Try not to let more than three hours pass
without eating. Steady meal timing helps regulate your digestive system, blood sugar and insulin levels, and appetite.
3) Listen to your body. Eat just before you are hungry and stop when you’re full, meaning satisfied, not stuffed. Waiting until you are hungry can lead to poor food choices.
4) Plan, plan, plan. Twice a week plan your clean eating meals for the week. Plan all your meals including your snacks. When 3 p.m. rolls around, being
prepared with a snack that will regulate your blood sugar and insulin levels
will give you the energy to get through the rest of the day.
5) Water and more water. Don’t forget the benefits of drinking at least three liters of water each day. Many times you are feeling hungry, but just need to supply the body with water.
6) Protein and Veggies. Most of your meals ought to include a lean source of protein such as egg whites, chicken, fish, or beef along with green cruciferous vegetables. Again, this helps to regulate your appetite and hormone levels.
As busy, active adults, no matter how organized you are, you can’t be prepared for everything. Between the kid’s activities and late night meetings, it’s best to have your meals and snacks prepared ahead of time. If you need some additional motivation and clean eating recipes, check out the Oxygen and Clean Eating magazines. These periodicals help you stick to your goals. Not only will you have more control over your eating, you will have improved energy and even better- looking skin!