Want to get out of town and go for a trip, but looking to save money?
Try one of these three trips you can enjoy on just one tank of gas: the Devon Horse Show and Country Fair in Devon, Ultrazone in Bensalem and Big Brown Fish & Pay Lake in Effort.
Devon Horse Show and Country Fair
When: May 24- June 3
Address: Lancaster Avenue & Dorset Road, Devon
How far? 22 miles from Horsham
- Free for children 2 and younger
- $5 children 3-12
- $10 adults
- $5 senior citizens (65 and older)
- Grand Stand seats can also be purchased. Cost varies based on day and time.
- Gates open at approximately 8 a.m. each day, but most of the Country Fair area does not open until 10 a.m.
- May 27, gates open at 11 a.m. and classes start at 1 p.m.
- Gates close at approximately 10 p.m. each night. (The show ends after the last class ends, which varies depending on weather and number of entries, among other factors.)
- June 3, classes conclude at approximately 1 p.m.
Summary: The Devon Horse Show and Country Fair is one of the premiere equestrian events in the U.S., and this year will serve as a preliminary for some Olympic Events. Steeped in tradition, the Horse Show began in 1896 and attracts some of the best horses and riders from the U.S. Canada, and Europe.
In addition to the equestrian events, the Country Fair features rides, boutique vendors and food including regional favorites and perennial favorite lemon sticks.
The nonprofit show raises money in support of Bryn Mawr Hospital.
Costs and show tickets vary depending on what event you want to see.
Address: 4201 Neshaminy Blvd., Bensalem
How far? 10 miles from Hatboro
Admission: $6.50 per person/game (laser tag lasts 15-20 minutes); Parties and specials also available.
- Monday closed for private groups and special events
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Friday, 4 p.m. to midnight
- Saturday, 10 a.m. to midnight
- Sunday, noon to 10 p.m.
Summary: Billed as “The Ultimate Laser Adventure,” the Ultrazone offers an inside laser tag arena along with video games and an arcade style set-up. The Ultrazone Laser Tag Arena, one of the largest on the East Coast, is a multi-level complex filled with numerous, strategically placed obstacles to provide a unique entertainment experience. Players may participate in a number of exciting game formats.
Big Brown Fish & Pay Lake
Address: 2668 Route 115, Effort
How far? 76 miles from Horsham
- Free for children 12 and younger
- $2.50 adults
- $2 senior citizens (65 and older)
- Cost of fish caught, pole rental, live bait, ice, gutting and filleting is additional. Check Web site for details.
- 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday
- 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, Sunday and holidays
Summary: No license is required to fish for trout and bass in the ponds at Big Brown Fish & Pay Lake, which opened in 1987. About 20,000 people visit this pay lake in the Poconos every year. The attraction includes a fish hatchery which supplies processed trout to fine restaurants in New York City and Philadelphia. Visitors can purchase snacks or bring a picnic lunch for their fishing excursion. Big Brown includes picnic tables, park benches and a pavilion.