A series of unfortunate events became a home and lifesaver.
You know that saying "Things happen for a reason?" Well, a client of mine recently saw that first hand. She and her husband ripped out a built-in cabinet from her dining room. Upon moving this piece, she found termite and rot damage to the hardwood flooring under the cabinet. Well, that was an unexpected surprise that led to repairing and refinishing the entire floor in the room. Then, the floor refinishing crew tripped a circuit while running their floor sanders; circuits would not reset and that led the homeowner to call an electrician. Sounds like a costly chain of events, doesn’t it? Yes. But that unfortunate series of mishaps may have actually saved the family home.
Upon inspection of the circuit breaker panel, the electrician found three improperly wired circuits that had shorted out. One circuit had melted plastic corners and there was heat damage to the breaker panel box, evidenced by black soot inside the panel box. This situation was a fire just waiting to ignite. Several of the circuits had been improperly wired years before and the homeowners had no idea they were living with a fire hazard. Lesson learned: When it comes to
electrical work be sure that you hire a licensed and insured professional
electrician. Wiring circuits is one house project that you should not DIY or skimp on the budget. Safety of your home and family is worthy of a pro’s fee.