HIP Chicks has been busy making a little DIY magic. Last week, I did a TV segment with Jennaphr Fredrick from Fox 29 on Good Day Philadelphia. I teamed up with to show local thrifters how they can breathe new life into old furniture.
We took a $1 chair, repainted it and covered the seat with a fun, funky fabric in under an hour. I also made a mini bar out of a pine table and wicker wine rack. There are fabulous, well-built pieces of furniture just waiting for a little TLC. Thrifting lets you shop “green” while you save some green. So reduce, recycle and repurpose as you let your creativity flow. Here are a few tips for wise thrift store shopping:
- Always measure the piece and be sure it fits in your home and car.
- Inspect the piece for quality construction - look for solid woods or high quality veneers, dove-tailed drawers (drawer corners that have interlocking wood edges) and make sure that it is free of mold or wood rot.
- Look past the finish. Focus on the size, shape and features of the piece. You can change the color later. You are only limited by your imagination.
- Consider how to modify a furniture piece. Can you use a dresser as a bathroom vanity? Would a long dresser be the perfect TV console? Can you remove drawers and install a wine rack for a custom bar or baskets to store kid stuff?
- Use good quality paints, stains and primers, following all manufacturer instructions.
- Have fun and be creative. You can always change the color when you are ready for a new look.
With a little creativity and patience, you can re-do-it-yourself, be proud and save some great old furniture from the landfill too!