Having been in the electronic security industry for 15 years, this is the time of year - as joyous as it is - where residents should be more cautious. Residential burglaries across the country go up this time of year. We have our holiday bonuses, the gifts we bought for people, the gifts we received from people and a more lackadaisical mindset as we get in the holiday season. That is is the perfect opportunity for "the bad guys." Some helpful tips:
1. Don't talk too much about what you are getting or what you got.
2. Try to unload in your garage instead of out in public.
3. If you will be away, don't post this on social media sites.
4. Be more aware of your surroundings and the people around you.
5. After opening gifts, DO NOT take the boxes out to the curb for trash. Either keep them, cut them and put in a large trash bag or find somewhere you can legally dump them. Taking the "42 inch LCD TV" box or something similar out to your curb is an advertising billboard to the burglar who is driving by.
Have a happy, healthy and safe holiday season and New Year!