How do you find motivation to exercise with so many distractions and responsibilities every day? This is something everyone struggles with from time to time. Yes, even instructors or trainers can have days that require a little self-talk to get to the gym.
Just like having a dinner reservation or an appointment, make sure to have a scheduled time at the gym. Here are 10 reasons to stay motivated:
- Relieve Stress: At times there is little we can control in life. Exercise creates a great burn while managing demands of daily life.
- Positive Feelings: After working out, who feels bad? No one! Keep reminding yourself how good you feel right after the workout. Not to mention, the increased energy you have each day.
- Sense of Accomplishment: You did it! Having a sense of completing a task from beginning to end without interruptions. No cell phone, no emails, and no meetings.
- Time for You: This is what we tend to neglect. In order to take care of others, we must nurture our body and spirit. Create time to take care of your body by strengthening your body and your mind.
- Workout Partner: Having accountability to a friend generates a support system that will work synergistically for both of you. Start with just meeting one day each week. It might just lead to meeting five days per week.
- Exercise Class: Have you always had the same routine for fitness? Try a group class to get you out of your comfort zone—it just might give you the motivation you are lacking!
- Fitting into Smaller Clothes: Do you notice that your pants are a little looser? You just might be losing inches even if the number on the scale has not changed—you are changing your body composition and becoming leaner in the process.
- Compliments: Has a co-worker, friend, or spouse noticed you have more energy or seem a little happier? Receiving kind words will only give you
the fortitude to continue with your fitness program.
- Personal Trainer: If you are not having much success with your present program, try contacting a personal trainer to coach, educate, and motivate you.
- Goals: Do you want to run a 5K or 10K? Sign up for a local race—Not only will you get motivated to run but you will sponsor a nonprofit group too. That has to feel good!
Take the time to find out what motivates you. Start today!
- Smart Fitness by Lisa is starting two new exercise programs--Introduction to Intervals and Stretching for Everyday Living beginning Oct. 22 for all fitness levels right here at the Horsham Community Center.