An overheated HVAC motor caused a fire to break out at Simmons Elementary School around 3:45 p.m. Wednesday, officials said.
The fire was extinguished in less than an hour and no one was injured as a result, according to Horsham Fire Company Chief Tim Flanagan. Students had already departed for the day.
Flanagan told Patch that an overheated or "worn out" motor on the school's HVAC system is believed to have been the culprit.
Flanagan said building damage would not require the school to be closed.
"That would be their call," Flanagan said of the district's decision to open Thursday. "It has a little bit of a stink inside."
School officials said students will report to school as usual Thursday.
Aftercare students will remain outdoors until they are picked up by their parents this evening. Restrooms at the Horsham Township Library are being used by aftercare staff and students. Wednesday’s evening activities at Simmons have been cancelled. The fifth-grade promotion at the Hatboro-Horsham High Schoolwill be held as previously planned.
Superintendent Curtis Griffin said maintenance crews would examine the extent of the damage later this evening. School officials had originally thought the cause of the fire stemmed from a fire in the school's pool pump. If that was the case, Griffin said the pool may need to close until repairs can be made.